Re: running 9i and 10g on same AIX5L server

From: Ben <>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 08:38:44 -0700

On Jun 5, 5:15 pm, wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:52:37 -0700, Ben <> wrote:
> >I didn't specifically state that I don't use oraenv either. oraenv
> >calls dbhome which in turn uses oratab, BUT I DON'T USE ORAENV. I get
> >the feeling that you are trying to tell me that oratab is what
> >controls the version of oracle software that is used for your
> >instance. I don't consider that to be accurate though, as I can see
> >with mine eyes that our oratab references non-existent homes. If you
> >use oraenv the indirectly it would use oratab to set the ORACLE_HOME
> >environment variable.
> I'm not responsible for the messes you seem to administer.
> It is your own choice to turn /etc/oratab into a mess, and hardcoding
> everything where you should set up /etc/oratab appropiately and use
> oraenv.
> You would have known that,if you, instead of hacking around and asking
> redundant questions, at least would have read the installation manual,
> and would have read up on OFA.
> If you don't consider my answer accurate then Oracle probably is not
> for you, and I recommend switching to a Mickey Mouse database instead.
> I'm not here to be insulted by people who can't be bothered to read
> manuals, and need a kick on their butt for every move they make.
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

I respect the knowledge that you share on here and for the most part it seems to be accurate. I don't consider anything that I said as an insult to you, you were leading me through hoops though. Which I could consider annoying and a little insulting. I have read the manuals, and searched on here, and searched on asktom and did not find anything specifically stating that the ORACLE_HOME is what in fact determines the version of software that is used to run a database when you have multiple versions installed. When you make the statements of 'messes that I administer' that is a direct insult and it's just plain rude, which I know that's the way you roll though. I in fact agree that there are a lot of things that are messed up with our system, the cause of that is the fact that I inherited the job of dba about 1.5 years ago with no prior dba knowledge when we had a major lay off at our company. The previous dba is the one that in fact has made a mess of some things in our databases and I'm stuck holding the bill. I've done my best to educate myself and I feel like I've done quite a damn good job of it over the past 1.5 years. We are just now getting the chance to do a major upgrade to 10g and with that I am cleaning a large portion of the mess up. I would say that you should be less rude, but you've been told that on many occassions and it never has had an impact. So enjoy being rude to everyone and anyone. Ben Received on Wed Jun 06 2007 - 10:38:44 CDT

Original text of this message