Re: Kernel parameter recommendations for HP-UX 11.11 in regard to SGA size

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 07:07:45 -0700

On Jun 5, 6:58 am, sybrandb <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 5, 12:01 pm, Swoop <s..._at_doesnotwork.com> wrote:
>

> > I'm knew to HP-UX and was just after some advice in regards to some
> > kernel parameters. I've done a fair bit of research but some of the
> > things I've read seem to conflict and because lower versions of the OS
> > have different settings and because the amount of RAM on the boxes (that
> > they are configuring) differ it is hard to peg it down.
>
> > For example, a metalink document recommends setting the system buffer
> > cache to a maximum of 128M but it says this for a low amount of RAM,
> > however, it doesn't specify what it means by low :(
>
> > I'll be testing it out first on a test box.
>
> > 2 processor box, HP-UX 11.11
> > 4Gb RAM
> > Running 9.2.0.8
> > vxfs filesystem
> > Running four databases (largest is 30Gb, others are 2Gb) as a pure
> > database server
>
> > Just wondering how others have configured the following parameters
>
> > bufpages
> > dbc_max_pct
> > dbc_min_pct
> > nbuf
>
> > in regards to system buffer cache?
>
> You need to configure the databas filesystems for directio, as Oracle
> already has a buffer cache.
> The above parameters are referring to the *O/S* buffer cache, which
> you shouldn't use.
> You need to read up the *platform specific* documentation for HP-UX
> available onhttp://otn.oracle.com(tahiti.oracle.com only has generic
> docs)

Where exactly is the OP going to find any installation guide doc for those parameter that he cited? The oracle install guide for hpux has configuration information for the kernel and shared memory stuff ... not the ones the OP asked about.

Now if you go into oracle metalink and do a search that's a better recommendation.

Note 68105.1 has some relevant info for the OP. Received on Wed Jun 06 2007 - 09:07:45 CDT