Re: Oracle 10g client: Is any license required for production installation

From: <matthias.hoys_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 01:58:30 -0700

On Jun 5, 5:18 pm, "Malcolm Dunnett" <noth..._at_spammers.are.scum> wrote:
> "sybrandb" <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Jun 5, 5:05 am, nshis..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> >> Do we need any license for Oracle 10g client installation....could not
> >> find anything on oracle site...need references from the oracle site.
>
> > THINK (if you are not too lazy for that) : What does the word
> > 'production' tell you?
>
> It tells me that if I use the SERVER in production I have
> to pay a license fee which is dependant on the number of
> named users or CPUS IN THE SERVER.
>
> > and visit the Oracle store (if you are not too lazy for it)
>
> I'm not the OP, but I'd also appreciate a pointer to the Oracle
> store where it tells me how much I need to pay for each
> client I install (NOT SERVER). The only pricing I've ever
> seen on there refers to server licensing.
>
> Are you suggesting that if I pay for a CPU license for my
> server and that I want to access that server from 10 different
> PCs that I need to pay a license fee for each of those PCs
> as well?
>
> Where on the Oracle store is the charge to install the Oracle
> client on a PC shown?
>
> Is the price different for a Linux or VMS system?

You don't need to pay for client installations. If you have a processor license, you can install the client software on an unlimited amount of PC's and connect with an unlimited amount of users. If you choose for named user licenses, you have to pay for each *named* user that accesses the database. So if you user John Doe connects to the production database from different 2 PC's with both the Oracle client software installed, you only need to pay for 1 named user license. If both John Doe and William Doe use the *same* PC to connect to the database, you need 2 named user licenses.

HTH
Matthias Received on Wed Jun 06 2007 - 03:58:30 CDT