Re: Kernel parameter recommendations for HP-UX 11.11 in regard to SGA size

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 03:58:16 -0700

On Jun 5, 12:01 pm, Swoop <s..._at_doesnotwork.com> wrote:
> I'm knew to HP-UX and was just after some advice in regards to some
> kernel parameters. I've done a fair bit of research but some of the
> things I've read seem to conflict and because lower versions of the OS
> have different settings and because the amount of RAM on the boxes (that
> they are configuring) differ it is hard to peg it down.
>
> For example, a metalink document recommends setting the system buffer
> cache to a maximum of 128M but it says this for a low amount of RAM,
> however, it doesn't specify what it means by low :(
>
> I'll be testing it out first on a test box.
>
> 2 processor box, HP-UX 11.11
> 4Gb RAM
> Running 9.2.0.8
> vxfs filesystem
> Running four databases (largest is 30Gb, others are 2Gb) as a pure
> database server
>
> Just wondering how others have configured the following parameters
>
> bufpages
> dbc_max_pct
> dbc_min_pct
> nbuf
>
> in regards to system buffer cache?

You need to configure the databas filesystems for directio, as Oracle already has a buffer cache.
The above parameters are referring to the *O/S* buffer cache, which you shouldn't use.
You need to read up the *platform specific* documentation for HP-UX available on http://otn.oracle.com (tahiti.oracle.com only has generic docs)

Four databases on 4 Gb RAM is a recipe for disaster.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

Fact: 99.9 percent of all questions on any Oracle forum have already
been asked and answered over and over again. This is because most
posters think they are the first to run into a problem and
consequently don't search Google.
They are wrong: they are not unique, they are with *too many*