Re: "Ora-01000 maximum open cursors exceeded" after update from 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.3

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 10:54:00 -0700

On Jun 4, 2:25 am, poschma <marti..._at_utanet.at> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> After updating our Database from 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.3 I get the error
> Ora-01000 in our application (we use the proC precompiler).
>
> When I look at the v$open_cursor, I see the number of cursors
> increasing all the time.
> In our application we have a lot of select statements and every
> statement is a cursor. But the cursor is always closed after the
> statement. And we also have a lot of transactions. And after a
> rollback the cursors should be closed automatic (am I right?).
>
> It seams that neither a "EXEC SQL CLOSE ..." nor a "rollback" close
> the cursors any more!
>
> The parameter session_cached_cursors is 20, the parameter open_cursors
> is set to 300.
>
> With 10.2.0.1 we have no problems.
> Has anyone an idea whats running wrong? Is there a new parameter?
>
> Thanks in advance

Although it can vary for each application, in general 300 is a very low value for that parameter. Lots of places have open_cursors set between 500 and 1000 or more.

Do some googling around. I think Tom Kyte recommends considering setting it to 1000?

Perhaps you were very close to the limit previously in your app and some minor change in oracle maintenace pushed you over? Received on Mon Jun 04 2007 - 12:54:00 CDT