Re: Performance problem hard to solve

From: Hole <h0leforfun_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 09:08:36 -0000

> Performance depends on the probability
> of getting duplicates and the number of indexes
> on the table. However, you may find that
>
> attempt to update
> if no row updated insert
>
> is more efficient. The cost of a failed insert is
> quite high.
>
> (That's assuming that you can't do the array-based
> merge suggested elsewhere).

Thanks a lot for your elucidations.
Let me detail the problem.

In details, we have an XML file containing a set of records. I've taken a look to MERGE INTO statement and it seems that assumes a "source table" and it's not true in our case. Also, we have a class performing an InsertOrUpdate fashion and another for UpdateOrInsert fashion.

Sincerely, I don't still know why It needs thid differentiation. So, do you suggest to use only UpdateOrInsert statements?

Thanks again.

--
-d