Re: how can I install oracle 7

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 08:38:43 -0700

On Jun 2, 6:32 am, "mym..._at_gmail.com" <mym..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 31, 8:33 pm, EdStevens <quetico_..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On May 30, 8:38 pm, "mym..._at_gmail.com" <mym..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > yes,i'm trying to create a database link.but my DB is 9.2.0.1.so i
> > > will try to use the tools you told me.
>
> > > i'm a newbie,thank you all for the help!
>
> > > good luck !
>
> > Now you're back to trying to make a specific technique work, without
> > stating the business problem that you're trying to solve. You said
> > that you are trying to get data from the 7.3 db to a 9.2 db. Is this
> > essentially a one-time move? Daily? Weekly? Does it have to happen
> > continually, in real time, or can it be done in periodic batches?
> > What is the business reason for getting the data from the 7.3. to the
> > 9.2? When you supply the answers to these questions someone can
> > provide some viable solutions.
>
> every 15sec ,there are some new data on the ora7.3. and our new
> project is base on ora9,so wo need to get the data from ora7.3.
> i;m so sorry,i can't say that you want to know.i don't know how to
> show my problem.
> thanks!

This sounds like the project from hell on my last job ... and a major reason I left that job. The company had bought a smaller company and was re-hosting the core app that they had acquired. The app was written, partly, in Pro*C on 8.1.0. The source could had been lost, so could not be recompiled. New requirement was that we employ transparent data encryption, only available with 10g. Our solution was to bring up an 8.1.7.4 db that the app could conntect to, but that db had nothing but synonyms and a db link to a 10g.

You could do something similar, plunking an 8.1.7.4 db in between your 7.3 and 10g. Ugly as hell. I would, and did, find another job. Received on Sat Jun 02 2007 - 10:38:43 CDT