Re: RAC: single versio of CSS

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 12:42:22 -0000

On Jun 2, 8:29 am, Jagjeet Singh <jagjeet.ma..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Friends,
>
> I would like to purchase a shared storage to setup RAC instead of
> using vmware.
> I need your help to finalize the shared storage which can be used to
> install RAC.
>
> Actually, Maxtor has been acquired by seagatge, otherwise I could
> purchase directly/blindly model give in
> Jeff Hunter's page.
>
> For this model, I have confirmation that this supports concurrent
> multiple logins. The only doubt I have it is having
> only 1 firewire port. Then how can I attached it to from two diff.
> nodes.
>
> Interface Capacity Model #
> Combo USB 2.0/Firewire 200GB ST3200823A-RK
>
> It has 2 usb port -- Do I need to use USB port instead of firewire
> ports.
>
> Can someone pls. guide me on this.
>
> Regards,
> Jagjeet Singh

Hi Jagjeet,

No, you have to use firewire (if you go that route). To set up an environment like this for testing, Wim Cokearts from Oracle provided a kernel that had support for multiple hosts writing to the same firewire device, not a USB device...

http://www.oracle.com/technology/oramag/webcolumns/2003/techarticles/coekaertsfirewiresetup.html

I will say the Jeff Hunters RAC on firewire article is absolutely flawless. If you follow that to the letter, it will work...

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/hunter_rac10gr2.html

The one I used a few years ago (this was 9i) was an off the shelf seagate 160GB with two firewire ports. You could probably get that drive off eBay for about $40 is my guess.

HTH, Steve Received on Sat Jun 02 2007 - 07:42:22 CDT