Re: Old ORACLE5 problem

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:48:57 -0700

On Jun 1, 2:24 pm, "markecb" <makni_mark..._at_net.hr> wrote:
> After installing MS-DOS Oracle5 database I got message
> PME Service not avaliable
> What to do?

I hate to ask but why are you installing Oracle 5? It's nothing but a curiosity now. And I doubt any recent version of "Winders" will run Oracle 5 in DOS mode as the DOS emulator isn't the same as the old DOS 3.1.

You COULD, of course, try to obtain a copy of DOS 3.1, install that, then install Oracle 5. Presuming DOS 3.1 will run on a modern PC. Or you might be able to find an old 80286 machine lying around somewhere that will boot up, install your ancient copy of DOS 3.1 on that, then install Oracle 5.

That, of course, seems to be too much work unless you're building an exhibit for a "Computational Devices Throughout History" fair.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Jun 01 2007 - 14:48:57 CDT