Re: local copy of remote database -- how to solve this case?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 May 2007 15:27:46 -0700

On May 30, 2:52 pm, T-BAG <T..._at_prisonbreak.invalid.com> wrote:
> hello!
>
> is it possible to create "simplified" local copy of the remote database
> in an automatic/semi-automatic way? I don't need triggers, user roles
> etc., just tables and indexes placed at two local tablespaces.
>
> I am a beginner in databases and till now I only figured out how to copy
> data between two systems using SQLPlus COPY command.
>
> I tried to use DBMS_METADATA packet but I hardly can make it working,
> and the second thing is the incompatibility: local database is version
> 10g, remote version 9.
>
> To replicate remote structure locally I take the script for remote
> tables, modify tablespace names, and run it locally. It is time
> consuming (300 tables) and prone to my errors.
>
> So, here is my question: is there a way to make it faster and better? no
> triggers, roles, etc. just tables and indexes mapped into two local
> tablespaces.
>
> I would greatly appreciate your help and suggestions. any script example
> or solution will be helpful.
>
> thanks,
> T-BAG
Create a dblink between the two, and use CREATE TABLE AS SELECT... created by a script.
Alternatively, exp/imp using user or table options. There is no problem going from 9 to 10, only the other way. Use parameter files rather than trying to list 300 tables on command lines. Also see the unloader: http://asktom.oracle.com/tkyte/ It would help if you said which platforms, though if you have dbms_job enabled that matters less.
If you have metalink access there are some older example scripts for getting ddl (and others may be found with general googling).

See http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm#subj10

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.