Re: MyLOG ready for test, an offline oracle log miner for 10g version.

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 May 2007 09:11:27 -0700

On May 30, 7:27 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> AnySQL wrote:
> > Hi all:
>
> > I am trying to write an offline oracle log miner, which can extract
> > the redo sql from oracle online log files or archived log files, here
> > it's cocming.
>
> Anyone considering touching this should first consult an attorney.
> Sybrand is likely correct that this is reverse engineering and
> prohibited by the terms of the license agreement.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

I don't think it's reverse engineering, unless you can prove that to achieve these results the author hacked into the Oracle code. If he didn't and just took a log file and figured out its contents by trial and error or any other way that doesn't involve decompiling and analyzing Oracle code then I believe it's pretty legal - the license doesn't identify data files as part of the "Programs", so you can do whatever you please with them, including figuring out their layout and writing your own programs that will process them.

Anyway, I agree that anyone *in the US* may want to consult with their attorney before trying this tool out or putting it to use.

Regards,

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)    http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Wed May 30 2007 - 11:11:27 CDT