Re: Bouncing Serving

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 29 May 2007 16:46:54 -0700

On May 29, 5:25 pm, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
> We have an off-site database (10g R2, Win2003 Server) that gets bounced
> twice a week on a schedule.
>
> The reason I was told is that our "vendor" (the people taking care of it)
> recommended it to "flush junk".
>
> Is there any real reason to bounce a server twice a week to clear memory (or
> anything else for that matter) that could/should be handled by having the
> database actually configured properly?

Varies. You can search the bug database or release content lists for memory leaks. There have been arguments over the years as to whether Windows needs to be rebooted.

Of course, nothing says that all bugs have been found.

It also depends on what exactly you are running. Bug 5600676, for example, is PIPELINED FUNCTION WITH IN PARAMETER LEAKS UGA AND PGA MEMORY. If you are running packaged software, how would you even know if you are doing that?

Now, many people believe that rebooting as a prophylactic is stupid, and the root cause needs to be analyzed and found. Some vendors certainly have "funny" recommendations that only serve to keep their support departments less busy. Do you have the tools and manpower to dispute it? Do you believe in magic?

Personally, I can't stand not knowing what is really going on. But if someone else makes the judgement that it is too expensive to do a root cause analysis, I grin and bear it. Unless I'm a paying consumer and I know what is wrong and I'm being shined on. That blows the bolts out of my neck.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.mccartyphotoworks.com/