Re: execute crs root.sh error

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 29 May 2007 14:04:13 -0700

On May 27, 3:29 am, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Why do you actually use mount points like /u01?
> >> OFA is a state of mind, not something to be followed to
> >> the letter.
>
> > Many people do use mount points like /u01 /u02 etc.
>
> It looks that way - but the question was; why? We're not in the
> time OS'es support 8-dot-3 names and nothing more, anymore.
>
> I'd expect something more useful. And I never understood
> the names anyway.
> /u01/app makes you believe there must be something else
> possible in /u01; db, perhaps? Nope, according
> to Oracle, that should be under $ORACLE_HOME (yuk!)
>
> In short: why /u01/app, and not /applications.
> Why oracle/product (asif someone would use oracle/database).

See table 1-7 in http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/pdf/A70110_01.pdf /u[0-9][0-9] are user data directories. Note this was before SAME. Long, long before.
.../product means distribution directories. Perhaps they meant things like forms executables. There was a time one would edit .INP files...

So how many multiplexed redo files have been lost due to being named *.log since then? :-)

I used to print out table 1-8 since so many places would have their own odd variants of directory structures, often to include something about backups... note you _could_ have something besides oracle under app... and home for a user is different than home for the db, that only varied to $OH/dbs because, er, "some things" didn't follow OFA...

And of course, there is a post on oracle-l somewhere where Cary Milsap doesn't like the 10g OFA...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://news.com.com/Intel+Software+needs+to+heed++Moores+Law/2100-1012_3-6186765.html?tag=nefd.top