Re: single node RAC system?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 29 May 2007 11:14:00 -0700

On May 29, 3:45 am, herta <herta.vandeney..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 26, 1:06 am, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

> > On May 25, 5:12 pm, herta <herta.vandeney..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > We are currently setting up our disaster recovery site (DRS).
>
> > > For Oracle, we want to use Dataguard to copy our databases to physical
> > > standby databases on a single system at the DRS.
> > > The single system is quite capable of running the Dataguard load, but
> > > should we need to run production at the DSR, it will not suffice. We
> > > would therefore like to set up this system as single node cluster, so
> > > that we can easily add instances if necessary.
>
> > > I tried installing clusterware on a single node, but the start of ONS
> > > fails with:
>
> > > Start of `ora.l27.ons` on member `l27` failed.
> > > CRS-1006: No more members to consider
> > > CRS-0215: Could not start resource 'ora.l27.ons'.
>
> > > Metalink article 2411114.1 suggests that the set up is possible,
> > > though the environment described there differs from ours (we use
> > > 64-bit SLES 10, Oracle RAC 10.2.0.3, ASM).
> > > It also warns that "this configuration is not certified or supported
> > > by Oracle Support Services".
>
> > > Has anyone tried setting up a single node cluster? If so, did you get
> > > the ONS error? How did you work around it?
> > > As to the support status, in theory, we could set up a two node
> > > cluster, and then take one node down. How would that differ from a
> > > single node cluster configuration?
>
> > > Alternative suggestions to achieve our goals are also welcome, of
> > > course.
>
> > > FWIIW, I opened an SR with Oracle four days ago, but they have yet to
> > > respond with something other than "we're looking into it'. A previous
> > > posting in ORACLE_DBA_EXPERTS also remained unanswered.
> > > I'm sort of pressed for time as the goal is to ship this to the DRS in
> > > three
> > > weeks time, and just getting a first copy of the physical databases on
> > > the storage is going to take a while.
>
> > > Kind regards,
>
> > > Herta
>
> > You "can" but may not want to run a RAC cluster ( 2 node or more ) in
> > a single machine using vmware etc.
>
> > Jeffrey Hunter over at idevelopment has an article that gives the
> > setup instructions.
>
> > Howard Rogers has another example of running multiple RAC instances in
> > a single node.
>
> Thanks, John.
>
> The databases are too important to run in non-supported environments,
> so vmware is out. Howard Rogers' article may hold useful clues, but
> I'm having problems locating it. Would you please post a pointer?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Herta-

Try doing a google search on howard rogers then from his site take a look at the articles.

He has one ( or more ) were he fakes out some stuff and creates a 2 instance rac on a single operating system install. Kind of funky to me and not something that interests me a lot but might be worth checking out for your purpose.

Oracle "kind of" supports installs on vmware ... dig up the support wording and read it ... it's kind of understated support. Received on Tue May 29 2007 - 13:14:00 CDT