Re: Myth of the database independent applications (Was: Are you using PL/SQL)

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 17:38:12 +0100

<zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Three tier architecture is "standard" as well as good architecture
> because it separates UI, Buisness Logic and database. UI only does UI,
> database only stores data and busines slogic does the rest.

I've always been fascinated by the concept of business logic being totally divorced from data correctness.

Either the data is a correct description of the state of the business, or it is not - which means the "business logic" is inherent in the data and enforced by the constraints on the data.

You may choose to have as many layers of code as you like to transform the data from one valid state to another valid state; but if you rely on programs to maintain data correctness, you don't have a database, you have a bit-bucket.

Three-tier is not an ideal to be aimed for, it is crutch to be used as sparingly as possible until the database technology is good enough to walk unaided.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com