Re: Oracle Performance -- Possible Disk Bottleneck

From: Jim Smith <usenet01_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 06:04:31 +0100

In message <1180043760.128981.180670_at_g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, beth.stover_at_gmail.com writes
>My apologies if this subject has been discussed. I searched the
>groups, and I couldn't find a good thread.
>
>We've been having performance problems with our Client/Server
>application for months. Users contantly complain of slow response
>times to their queries.
>
>Here's the environment:
>
>Oracle 9i on Windows. Poweredge 6850. 4, 3 GHz Quad Core
>Processors. 8 GB RAM. 9i databses are stored on an EMC Clarrion
>CX500 LUN -- RAID 10. 6, 15K 146GB dedicated disks. Oracle logs are
>stored on a separate RAID 10 LUN on dedicated disks. 1 GBE switched
>backend. Users connect using FastEthernet. XP clients. All disks on
>the SAN are fibre channel.
>
>CPU utilization is fine. RAM utilization is fine. Throughput on the
>NIC is fine -- maxes out at 50 Mbps for a short while when users first
>log in in the morning. Averages are 20 Mbps.
>
>Using perfmon in Windows, If I look at Disk Reads/Sec and Disk Writes/
>sec., here's what I see for averages:
>
>Disk Reads/sec = 2200 Avg
>Disk Writes/sec = 10 Avg
>
>Our reads/sec seem EXTREMELY high for only 80 users.
>
>Can someone help me understand if this is truly a disk bottleneck?
>
>Thanks in advance!

Try using statspack to get an oracle perspective on what the delay is.

You can look it up in the docs, but essentially you install statspack, set it up to collect statistics at intervals (maybe every 30 minutes) and then run reports on selected intervals.

This will show what is using up time within the database.

--
Jim Smith
Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>