Re: Performance View

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 24 May 2007 14:12:39 -0700

On May 23, 10:11 pm, anarayth.z..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have several questions in Oracle server performance, any experts out
> there could answer my questions. Thanks very much.
>
> 1) When I experience the Oracle server is very slow, which performance
> view should I see in order to determine the caused?

In the real world or in an interview?

> 2) How do I know if my SQL running in Oracle has sufficient resources
> to run, e.g. memory, cpu, etc.

While Andrea and Morgan's answers are better, note that there are GUI tools including those from Oracle than can answer this quickly. Andrea and Morgan's answers are better because in order to properly tune Oracle, you must understand how things actually work under the covers. But the goofies can sometimes pick up on the gross misconfigurations and worst SQL, so you can focus on them. You can know right away what the worst wait states are, and this might give a clue, and can drill down to an explain plan from a long running SQL. But of course, the trick is knowing what the wait states mean and how to interpret a plan. Those items are in the docs and in a few publications. So RTFM. And keep in mind, sometimes the docs are a bit misleading when out of context, so you need to actually try things to learn. Just reading about these things isn't enough.

> 3) How do I know which task running in Oracle is resources demanding?

Depends.

> Any suggestion is apprepciated.

They sound like interview questions to me. Try googling them. Don't forget to wear socks. I saw a guy wear a nice suit, shoes, and no socks to an interview for an engineering position. _Everyone_ noticed and no one said anything. He didn't get the job, it was too weird of a detail. And there were some very idiosyncratic people there.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://blogsecurity.net/wordpress/articles/article-230507/