Re: Migrating to Oracle on Windows

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 24 May 2007 11:24:14 -0700

On May 22, 8:22 pm, Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM_ME...._at_verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2007 11:11:09 -0700, joel garry wrote:
> > I got an unsolicited PDP job email yesterday
>
> PDP? Like PDP-11, RSX, KED and alike? Somebody is still using that?
> It looks like the old computers never die. They live forever in our
> nightmares. Don't get me wrong, I spent significant part of my career
> being a VAX/VMS system administrator and, as a student, I was using
> FORTRAN and PASCAL compilers on PDP-11. We had some fun with the
> DEFINE FILE command and old RZ drives but I am now 46 years old,
> quarter of a century after the last use of an RSX box that I can
> remember. Anyone who has kept these boxes in a corporate IT after
> all these years deserves to be shot, regardless of my nostalgia and
> Peter Pan complex.
>
> --http://www.mladen-gogala.com

I dunno about corporate IT, but a quick google at the pdp groups shows people are still using them (I assume for data collection or some sort of control activities).

I have a couple of RSTS machines in my basement (one I bought in 1984, I think, must have the paperwork around somewhere, saved the other from a dumpster in the '90s), but I haven't even tried to turn them on in a decade. I started my paid career on an 11/34. I first saw Oracle on a VAX around 1983, but at the time, 11/780's still were better for lots of I/O. Around that time, VAXen started to be cheaper than the support+electricity for the big PDP's... I think DEC must have taught Larry something about forcing upgrades...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/htmltest/rjn_dig.html