Re: Do you use PL/SQL

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 08:44:34 -0700

www.douglassdavis.com wrote:

> so i take it that you are not really a fan of "middleware" written in
> some other language that provides an interface that applications can
> use (via CORBA or something) and talks to the database via SQL.

I like middleware when it is used appropriately just as I like XML when it is used appropriately.

But anyone using any database whose starting premise is that their front-end tool, or the middleware, will be the only mechanism by which the data is accessed and changed is not in contact with reality.

Similarly anyone using an RDBMS and not customizing their code to leverage that product's best practices is writing mediocrity with respect to security, scalability, and performance.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington