Re: Do you use PL/SQL

From: sPh <sphealeyxxx_at_xxxworldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 00:05:23 GMT

> Let's see ... this guy is asking a question politely and gets jumped
> all over.

I don't want to be rude, but I have spent way too much of my life over the last 20 years trying to make applications designed according to Mr. Davis' anti-principles work in real operational environments.

Statements such as "today network performance doesn't matter" are very true: in the single office where the 10 developer sit with exactly two applications installed on their workstations (their IDE and the target app) all nicely connected with the fastest switch[1] in the catalog.

Try to make those work in the real world, where you have manufacturing subsidiaries 187 miles from the nearest telco POP (I am talking _inside_ the United States here, not international!) and with best possible latency in the 200ms range, then tell me network performance "isn't a consideration". Or look at the server rooms with stacks and stacks of "tiers", along with load directors, layer 3 switches, etc rather than one nice solid business data server with as much as possible of the logic safely and securely tucking inside. And "platform independent" Java "tiers" that are quite platform independent: they perform equally _badly_ on Oracle, SQL Server, and DB2!

I could go on if you like; I have 20 years of such cases. I don't always agree with Mr. Morgan but he is 100.1% right on this one and Mr. Davis is IMHO not qualified to teach this class. In fact I would like to know where it is being taught so I can avoid hiring anyone from that institution.

sPh Received on Tue May 22 2007 - 19:05:23 CDT