Re: Migrating to Oracle on Windows

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 20:53:01 -0400

goooooglegroups_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I would have thought that this would be a common thing to do and thus
> would have a solution that was well known among the database community
> - so I am just looking for some help\guidance.
Actually switching data servers is not common at all. One thumb rule that some go by is that any decision on a DBMS for a given app remains in place for seven years (one may argue the exact number but long by software standards it is). After those seven years the app is reasonably dependent on the DBMS and any change is quite expensive. Hence you see some interesting vendors popping up like Ants (Sybase -> Oracle)or EDB (Oracle -> Postgress).

The regulars in this group will be the first to tell you that an app should exploit the DBMS intricacies to the fullest....

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau