Re: Creating standby database: Why need to copy backup pieces to standby site manually?

From: Ronny <nitelyjoy_at_ist-einmalig.de>
Date: 21 May 2007 15:10:09 -0700

David,
please look at my starting post to this thread. With posting it I wanted to discuss the technical possibilities when using the RMAN 'duplicate' command. I never intended a discussion about pros and cons (including costs) whether to use a standby database or just a conventional backup or something else. My customer decided to have a standby and why he decided like this is absolutely irrelevant for my question. (Besides, it is a interesting point and if you are interested in it, feel free to start a new discussion in our newsgroup about it.)

When keeping this in mind and leaving all financial aspects out of scope, I found Sybrand's last statement inapplicable and clumsy. You normally wouldn't expect a Senior DBA to debate like this:

"

Sorry to say so, but what you are stating is nonsense. If you are backing up to disk, why set up a standby database? Why do you expect Oracle is going to change their software, because you refuse to buy a tape library product? People are usually pennywise and pound-foolish. They buy a standard Unix implementation with only the standard ufs. Should Oracle compensate for that stupidity? Come on!
"

And by the way, I NEVER stated that I were the better DBA or even a SENIOR DBA! I just wanted to discuss my question in a professional way.

Regards,
Ronny Received on Mon May 21 2007 - 17:10:09 CDT