Re: Creating standby database: Why need to copy backup pieces to standby site manually?

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 21 May 2007 07:18:15 -0700

On May 21, 3:34 am, Ronny <nitely..._at_ist-einmalig.de> wrote:
> David,
>
> I just was wondering about Sybrand's statement "If you are backing up
> to disk, why set up a standby database?" At this point, there was no
> mention of licence costs or money. IMHO, I assumed that a Senior DBA
> knows about the advantages of a standby database in comparison with a
> conventional tape backup. Nothing more and nothing less.

Knowing of the 'advantages' is one thing; touting that YOU have a standby database because YOU are a 'better Senior DBA' is wrong. Again, you're fortunate your employer decided to set up a DRA using standby database technology. Many companies don't, or won't, due to hardware and licencing costs, the cost of a reliable T1 or T3 connection to the DRA as well as working through the configuration issues which can initially plague such a setup when the DBA or DBAs have no prior experience with DataGuard or standby databases. Testing the failover methodology is also necessary to ensure your 'running database in minutes' claim can be realised, including application failover so the user community can get back to work in a timely manner. Have you set up such a plan, and, if so, were you able to successfully failover to the standby site? Oh, yes, once you DO failover you need to then fail back and rebuild your standby. How often will you need to rebuild an entire system after a successful restore to a test database from a valid backup? Validating a backup/ restore strategy is far less complex and far less costly than testing a standby configuration. I have set up more than one Disaster Recovery Area in my career, and, yes, there are advantages to having a running DRA using standby/Data Guard technology, but those advantages do not come without additional costs in time and financial resources.

> >From my point of view, we can stop discussing/arguing here, because it
>
> adds no more useful information to my original question (thread
> subject).

Where did I say that? I read my post to you and I find that verbiage nowhere in the text. Please explain how it applies to my response.

> Regards,
> Ronny

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon May 21 2007 - 09:18:15 CDT