Re: RAC

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 May 2007 22:35:18 -0700

On May 21, 8:53 am, newbie <rjngh2..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I was trying to study Oracle RAC
>
> To have a test system I was proposing the following
>
> a) Convert a Desktop 4GB RAM , 160 GB HDD to SUSE Linux and try to
> install RAC on this.
>
> Is this possible ??
>
> Objective is only for study purposes
>
> Please comment

RAC requires at least two machines, so you can't experiment with it on one unless you use virtual machines. VMware is available for Windows as well as for Linux, so you don't really have to change your favorite desktop environment to setup a couple of VMs running SUSE and try RACking them up. There will be a bit of challenge creating shared virtual storage device as it's not directly doable from the GUI, but the rest should be pretty straightforward. Oracle even offers preconfigured  RAC VMware VMs for education purposes here: http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/obe10gdb_vmware/index.html.

Regards,

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)    http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Mon May 21 2007 - 00:35:18 CDT