Re: Migrating to Oracle on Windows

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 10:28:35 -0700

goooooglegroups_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> On May 20, 1:18 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

>> goooooglegro..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am looking into migrating a database from DB2 on z/OS to Oracle on
>>> Windows.
>>> I am quite new to databases and would appeciate any information on
>>> free programs that do this or a good process for carrying this out.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Noel
>> If your organization has enough money to have DB2 on z/OS there is
>> essentially no excuse for moving to Windows, definitely no excuse
>> for looking for free software, and absolutely no excuse for passing
>> this to someone with zero training.
>>
>> More information and version numbers required. Before I would offer
>> help some assurances that this isn't just a troll. Because what you
>> wrote above is outrageous and an absolute guarantee of failure.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org

> Hi,
>
> The example I gave of migrating from DB2 on z/OS to Oracle on Windows
> is just one example - in general I want to be able to move a database
> from Oracle to DB2, and vica-versa, on both Windows and z/OS.
>
> Even a process to move the data from DB2 on z/OS to Oracle on Windows
> would be a good start as I already have the database structure setup
> on both, but ideally I would like to take a database on DB2 (z/OS) and
> create a similiar one on Oracle and then copy across all the data.
>
> I see Oracle have a tool
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/workbench/index.html
>
> which handles most of this, however it does not handle migrating from
> DB2 on z/OS to Oracle on Windows, hence why I am tackling this
> particular setup.
>
> The version of Oracle I am using is 10.2.0 the version of DB2 I am
> using is 9.
>
> I would have thought that this would be a common thing to do and thus
> would have a solution that was well known among the database community
> - so I am just looking for some help\guidance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Noel

You haven't given any indication of the amount of data or the type of application. OLTP or DSS? Megabytes or Petabytes? You've given no indication of the migration windows or any other business rules. Nor have you indicated whether what you intend is migrating only heap tables or whether other object types, code, etc. are involved.

The only thing you have clearly communicated is that a very large and financially successful organization has turned a critical task over to someone with zero experience: A recipe for failure.

I have done what you are asking about numerous times. And it is relatively straight-forward. But I'll not help someone fake their credentials and ruin a company. You need to do far better to get help from me and I suspect others here are reacting the same way.

Doesn't your management have a single person on the team who is qualified to do the work? If not hire a consultant. I could easily recommend one if you want and if so contact me off-line.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington