Re: 'Big' doubt...

From: Valentin Minzatu <valentinminzatu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 May 2007 09:21:37 -0700

On May 18, 11:35 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Valentin Minzatu wrote:
> >> Only with an extraordinarily inefficient view such as one built like
> >> this:
>
> >> CREATE VIEW v AS
> >> SELECT function_call(param), function_call(param)
>
> >> I would suggest looking at using a pipelined table function instead.
> >> --
> >> Daniel A. Morgan
> >> University of Washington
> >> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> >> (replace x with u to respond)
> >> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
> > I was thinking more on the lines of a view like:
> > CREATE VIEW v AS
> > SELECT id, TRANSLATE(name, ' ', '-')
> > FROM <original_table>
> > (my understanding is the application code cannot be changed, otherwise
> > there is no need for a view)
>
> Define "hide the transformation logic." You seem to mean something very
> different than I assumed.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

Daniel, I did not think at the time of pl/sql maybe because the op's example was so simple. That doesn't mean it would not work for a pipelined function as well. The only purpose for the view is to present the application with the same column names and data types as if there was no change/transformation applied to the original data.

I am still not sure if the original assumption (application code cannot be changed) is correct as the op hasn't replied. Received on Fri May 18 2007 - 11:21:37 CDT