General Question about Performance/Tuning and scheduled Tuning

From: Alexander Peters <apeters_at_ap-data.de>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 09:03:06 +0200

Hello!
I have a general question about Performance and Tuning. All few weeks the database works very slow. Selects which have a duration about 5 - 10 sec. need about 40 - 60 sec. And some INSERT Statements need the some time. Actually, i recompute the statistics of all Tables to solve the problem, but i think thats not the real solution. Is there a way, that the server optimize himself? Timed or anything else? We have the some application on a MS SQL Server, and there isn't this problem. I think that must be possible with a oracle server too.

  1. Peters

Here my procedure, which i use to optimize my database. After this, the Database is so fast as before.
CREATE OR REPLACE procedure compute_table ( as_tablename in varchar2 ) AS
PRAGMA AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION;
ls_sql varchar2 (255);
BEGIN
  ls_sql := 'ANALYZE TABLE ' || as_tablename || ' DELETE STATISTICS';   EXECUTE IMMEDIATE ls_sql;
  ls_sql := 'ANALYZE TABLE ' || as_tablename || ' ESTIMATE STATISTICS';
  EXECUTE IMMEDIATE ls_sql;
  ls_sql := 'ANALYZE TABLE ' || as_tablename || ' COMPUTE STATISTICS';   EXECUTE IMMEDIATE ls_sql;
END;