Re: How to Change ini.ora filename on Windows?

From: EscVector <Junk_at_webthere.com>
Date: 17 May 2007 19:42:30 -0700

On May 17, 8:31 pm, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 17, 4:56 pm, EscVector <J..._at_webthere.com> wrote:
>

> > On May 17, 4:37 pm, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > For Oracle 8i, see page 352 Oracle 8i Administrator's Guide for
> > > Windows NT:
> > > "By default, Oracle8i uses the initialization parameter files located
> > > in ORACLE_BASE\ADMIN\DB_NAME\PFILE, unless you specify a different
> > > initialization file with the PFILE option at database startup."
> > > For Example:
> > > STARTUP PFILE=D:\ORA81\ADMIN\TEST\PFILE\INITTEST.ORA
>
> > > Page 361 of the same book:
> > > "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOMEID {in the Windows Registry}
> > > includes the following parameters for an Oracle home directory on a
> > > computer. Depending on the products you install, additional parameters
> > > can also be created..." "Parameter: ORA_SID_PFILE Description: The
> > > full path to the initialization parameter file. Default: ORACLE_BASE
> > > \ADMIN\DB_NAME\PFILE\INIT.ORA"
>
> > > For Oracle 10g, you should be using an SPFILE with a backup of the
> > > parameters in a PFILE, which can be used to bring the database up in
> > > the event that inappropriate parameters are specified in the SPFILE
> > > (do not edit the SPFILE using Notepad).
>
> > > Charles Hooper
> > > IT Manager/Oracle DBA
> > > K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.
>
> > Tested in 9i (same reg hive as 8) and 10. Even with the registry
> > pfile setting, it still looks to the database directory when starting
> > even in 9i. If the init<dbname> file is not there, it won't start
> > even if the pfile entry and path value is in the registry. Justed
> > tested it out in 9 and 10. I'm fairly sure it applies to 8 because my
> > win rmanless clone scripts were developed for 8.1.7 peoplesoft
> > instance replication on windows. I don't believe there is a way
> > around this other than to specify a different RDBMS_CONTROL directory,
> > but I think it still looks for init<dbname> in the control directory
> > and then points from there.
>
> I am not sure why the registry key did not work for you - maybe a
> reboot is required. The quotes in my previous post were direct from
> the Oracle 8i documentation. A quick search on Google Groups for:
> Oracle 8 ORA_SID_PFILE locates a couple threads related to this
> registry key. SID needs to be replaced with the approproriate SID
> name.
>
> It looks like the registry key may apply to 10g also:http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/oraclenet/pdf/ADsupport_10g...
> (pgs 83, 84, 171)
> "ORA_SID_PFILE This parameter sets the full path to the initialization
> parameter file. If this entry is not present, then oradim will try to
> start the database with an SPFILE or PFILE from ORACLE_HOME\database."
>
> "To start the database, start OracleServiceSID. This automatically
> starts ORADIM and issues the -STARTUP command using the initialization
> parameter file identified by ORA_SID_PFILE."

> [...]

Charles,
No doubt that the regkey should point to the file as it says in the docs and I think it also should apply to 10 although the key isn't created by default. My my point is that I don't think it really works the way Oracle says it works, but as I write, I'm thinking that it might be that the OracleService uses this and the cmd line does not? I didn't test that scenario. I will do that on 9.2.0.4 tomorrow. I'm curious to know what, if any files are in the OPs <OH>\database directory. Received on Thu May 17 2007 - 21:42:30 CDT