Re: Setting NLS_COMP and NLS_SORT at the database level

From: <ymongeau_at_chca.ca>
Date: 17 May 2007 12:00:56 -0700

On May 16, 5:05 pm, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On May 16, 11:22 am, ymong..._at_chca.ca wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > I am running Oracle 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1).
>
> > I have set theNLS_COMPparameter to LINGUISTIC and theNLS_SORT
> > parameter to BINARY_AI in the spFile through Oracle Entreprise
> > Manager. I have shut down and restarted thedatabase.
>
> > >From Oracle Entreprise Manager (/Administration / All initialization
>
> > parameters), I can see that the values for the parameters are the ones
> > mentioned above. However, I cannot perform a case-insensitive and
> > accent-insensitive search.
>
> > If I change it at the session level
> > ALTER SESSION SETNLS_COMP=LINGUISTIC
> > ALTER SESSION SETNLS_SORT=BINARY_AI
> > it works fine.
>
> > Is there another parameter to set in order to have this at the
> >databaselevel?
>
> > Thanks for your help.
>
> When you first connect into a session ( try using sqlplus ) and before
> you do the alter session ...what does the result of a command ( SQL>
> show parameter nls ) give you?- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, I hit the wrong button :-).

I executed the "show parameter nls" on the server directly and here are the results of the parameters that have a value set:

nls_comp    LINGUISTIC
nls_language   AMERICAN
nls_length_semantics   BYTE
nls_nchar_conv_excp   FALSE
nls_sort   BINARY_AI
nls_territory  AMERICA

Thanks.
Yanick Received on Thu May 17 2007 - 14:00:56 CDT