Re: force oracle to use tcp connections

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 17 May 2007 06:57:56 -0700

On May 16, 9:54 pm, Richard <richard_p_frank..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> sorry if this is a simple question, but is there a way to force the
> oracle listener to only use TCP and *never* use IPC connections?
>
> I have been working with 9i & 10g and it seems that the listener.ora
> file parameters are not effective - I thought that perhaps by taking
> out all references to PROTOCOL=IPC from my listener config, I could
> force local connections (sqlplus) to use TCP, but the connections can
> still fall back to IPC. is that the way it's supposed to work?
>
> Is there a way to force all local connections to always be TCP?
>
> thx!
> richard

IPC connections are faster than TCP connections and only available for local sessions so why would you trying to eliminate their possible use?

The various Oracle database background processes are going to use Inter-Process Communications, IPC, to talk to each other. Are you sure your monitoring is not monitoring this?