Re: Creating standby database: Why need to copy backup pieces to standby site manually?

From: Ronny <nitelyjoy_at_ist-einmalig.de>
Date: 16 May 2007 14:33:08 -0700

> Really? I was under the impression that you need to create
> a special controlfile by something like this:
>
> SQL> alter database create standby controlfile as '/tmp/oracle.ctl';
>
> Database altered.

Yes, in 10g/RMAN, it's internally done by "DUPLICATE TARGET DATABASE FOR STANDBY DORECOVER;".
> So, if the database is in "nomount" state, I have two questions:
> 1) How does it know where are the data files to recover? What is
> the starting SCN and which archive is it contained in?

RMAN knows it all! It actually works very well. Perhaps you take a look to the "duplicate" command and the internal "Memory" scripts that are executed. RMAN writes it all to the screen. The first memory script is for example:

contents of Memory Script:
{

   set until scn 1875921;
   restore clone standby controlfile;
   sql clone 'alter database mount standby database'; }

The only thing I wish is that the information needed to duplicate the standby database is fetched via SQL*Net and not locally accessed at standby site.

> 2) What the heck do I need a standby controlfile for? Should I
> send it to Joel or Sybrand?

Feel free to send it wherever you like to. Jesus is also a good address ... ;-)

Regards,
Ronny Received on Wed May 16 2007 - 16:33:08 CDT