Re: Creating standby database: Why need to copy backup pieces to standby site manually?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 16 May 2007 11:54:12 -0700

On May 15, 8:26 pm, Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM_ME...._at_verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2007 19:02:28 -0700, Valentin Minzatu wrote:
> > Truth is that some kind of remote copy could be easily implemented (see
> > rac installation) and made available/hidden through/behind RMAN. I don't
> > know why it is not implemented. Maybe because of ASM ? - although even
> > ASM should not be a huge obstacole.
>
> Valentin, what are you talking about? Who was talking about copying?
> What copying? The point that I made was that for standby database, the
> database must be mounted. Period. Very simple.

Mladen, calm down and look at the title of the thread. How can you mount something with no files? Valentin was obviously referring to two steps before the one you were talking about, where one has to copy the backup pieces so you can use RMAN to recover them.

On May 15, 6:38 pm, Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM_ME...._at_verizon.net> wrote:

>2) What the heck do I need a standby controlfile for? Should I send it to Joel or Sybrand?

I think avoiding ORA-1665 or ORA-1666 might be a better reason, but I don't get the joke. I'd like to get the joke. Would you be so kind as explain the joke? Aren't you glad you made a joke?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.briss.com/