Re: Creating standby database: Why need to copy backup pieces to standby site manually?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM_ME.NOT_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 01:38:49 GMT

On Tue, 15 May 2007 15:15:16 -0700, Ronny wrote:

> I don't see a chicken and egg situation here: The standby database is
> started in "nomount" state,

Really? I was under the impression that you need to create a special controlfile by something like this:

SQL> alter database create standby controlfile as '/tmp/oracle.ctl';

Database altered.

SQL> So, if the database is in "nomount" state, I have two questions: 1) How does it know where are the data files to recover? What is

   the starting SCN and which archive is it contained in? 2) What the heck do I need a standby controlfile for? Should I

   send it to Joel or Sybrand?

The truth of the matter is that the database MUST be mounted for recovery to take place. In version 9, it was necessary to use "ALTER DATABASE MOUNT STANDBY DATABASE" command. Version 10 is better, it recognizes the standby controlfile and automatically mounts a standby if you execute "startup mount" command. If your database is not mounted, you have no standby. Of course, the command
"alter database screw up managed standby database disconnect from session" must still be entered manually, for the recovery to start.

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com