Extent Size on Table Performance Question

From: Dereck L. Dietz <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 17:07:21 -0500

I've been reading and came across a section about the impact of table extent size on performance.

I'd like to apply what I read but before I go off and do it wrong I thought I'd post what I'm considering and see what observations/comments/suggestions anybody would like to share.

Basic assumptions:

  1. Operating system I/O buffer size is 128K.
  2. NEXT extent size will be 128K.
  3. During table loads/reloads the table size will not grow to where it needs more than one more extent.
  4. The table's initial size will be 55,433 rows for a current size of 7,737,465 bytes.
  5. Datawarehouse environment. No real data design/normalization.
  6. Oracle 10.2.03, Windows 2003 Server, 16GB memory.

When I initially create the table, what would be the best option:

  1. Create it with an initial extent of 7,737,465 bytes allocating all the space it needs at once.
  2. Create it with an initial extent as a multiple of 128K but large enough to hold the initial rows.
  3. Just create it with an initial extent of 128K.