Re: TRanfers DB ORACLE to SQL 2000

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 13:23:03 +0200

On 22.04.2007 20:23, DA Morgan wrote:

> keithjgordon_at_hotmail.co.uk wrote:

>> On Apr 21, 10:05 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Rather harsh David. One one of the first rules of working with
>>> Microsoft products is not reading. Seems to me he is off to a
>>> great start.
>>>

>> Hello Daniel. Until very recently I would have defended SQL Server
>> without knowing anything about Oracle. I have been learning about
>> Oracle and feel it is much rich although I do not have yet business
>> experience with either of them to justify my statement.
>>
>> When you program in c# or SQL Server or VB6 which I have done for
>> after school, I have not read the manuals and relied on a couple of
>> books and Google. One thing about Google is that a reference to the
>> Microsoft documentation for what you search on usually is in the first
>> 1 or 2 hits of Google. When searching in Oracle, the relevant results
>> aren't at the top. Also the search function on Oracles website is
>> really bad.
>>
>> When searching for something in Oracle like creating a table, I
>> usually type in "create table site:www.oracle.com" rather than using
>> Oracles search functionality on their website.
>>
>> I think the reason for not reading the Oracle documents are that
>> 1. There are so many, which is good, but getting a good search tool
>> to get the information you need quickly from them is hard.
>> 2. The Oracle website search functionality orders things in an odd
>> order which doesn't seem to be most relevant hit first.
>> 3. Nowadays people just expect to Google something and have the result
>> popup or someone help them not think by posting to a usenet group.
>> 4. Nowadays in general people can't be bothered reading the manuals,
>> for anything (which includes my TV remote control) so posting to a
>> usenet group is easy.
>>
>> I have tried to read the manuals for Oracle and then only posted to
>> this usenet group when asking for help. Thank you for your help
>> everyone.
>>
>> John
>
> The sources for relevant results are rather easy to find methinks:
>
> 1. http://tahiti.oracle.com
> 2. http://otn.oracle.com
> 3. http://docs.oracle.com
> 4. http://asktom.oracle.com

Adding to that, it is really easy to restrict a search on Google to specific websites. So even if Oracle's search engine would be bad one can still use Google. For a start

http://www.google.com/search?q=create+table+site%3Aoracle.com

> 5. http://www.psoug.org/library.html
>
> and if you purchase Tom Kyte's books and read them, which I believe
> just about everyone here has done, you will find yourself no longer
> looking up basic questions. Tom's books are the best: I recommend
> them to my students.

Phew, I'm glad I read at least one of his books. :-)

Kind regards

        robert Received on Sun May 13 2007 - 06:23:03 CDT