Re: ideas needed to track down a mysterious problem

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 13:01:03 +0200

"prunoki" <hegyvari_at_ardents.hu> wrote in message news:1179045404.300974.260720_at_y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> Currently we are in the process of establishing a diagnostic sheet in
> order to help us track down a problem. One of our clients is running a
> 8.1.7.2 database on Solaris. Sometimes the application this database
> supports comes to a halt. When this happened we made sure that there
> were no locks to justify this situation and we started to log off
> everyone, set job_queue_processes to 0, killed the jobs, so basically
> stopped everyone from using the database. The database was still
> unresponsive and we could not get a system state dump (it just would
> not finish doing the dump). After restarting everything became normal.
>
> Right now I started to establish a protocol, organizing the todo-s
> into steps which should be taken before restarting. It is something
> like:
>
> - examine the active sessions
> - examine the logs
> - check the CPU and disk resources
> - etc
>
> Any ideas what to add to this list? Any queries that might help
> finding out what happens? Or better, any ideas why this might happen?
> What does the fact that a system state dump could not be taken mean to
> you? From my point of view this could well be an Oracle bug, or
> anything.
>
> The application uses traditional heap organized tables, some global
> temp tables, advanced queueing, some java to send letters using
> javamail, dblinks to other systems and usually more than 70 users are
> logged in. The clients are mainly Magic 9.3, but there are some web
> apps logging in using PHP, and a java client is calling some stored
> procedures from time to time. There are two sessions running
> continously but they are sitting in a DBMS_AQ procedure waiting for
> messages.
>
> Regards,
>
> Krisztian

Is it 8.1.7.2 ? Then you really should upgrade to 8.1.7.4 (or a higher version of Oracle, since 8i is desupported). To examine the problem, you could also use STATSPACK. See http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/8i/Statspack8i.php. Easy to install and use. Snapshots can be analysed on www.oraperf.com.

Matthias Received on Sun May 13 2007 - 06:01:03 CDT