Re: Backup to NFS

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:18:54 -0400

On 8 May 2007 01:27:26 -0700, sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>On May 8, 9:57 am, NetComrade <netcomradeNS..._at_bookexchange.net>
>wrote:
>> If you backup to NFS, which device you use, and what throughput do you
>> achieve. We'd like to be able to backup multiple db's at once, so
>> something in the range of 100Megs+/sec is what we are looking for
>> (obviously for cheap). Storage size is a few TB.
>>
>> (need to buy a new one)
>>

>Did you ever try to restore from such a NFS backup?
>I did. It wasn't funny. I never got the database back.

The reasons are usually economical. It's much cheaper to have a big NFS sitting somewhere, then have local disk, which usually means fibre, to be backing things up. (we backup to disk then to tape)

Yes we have restored many times. Yes, we did have a problem once, which is why we now 'validate' those backups. And I agree with other posters that you can have a corruption on a local level, just as you can over NFS, I will also somewhat agree that there is a higher probability with NFS. Provided you have a speedy enough NFS, and a dedicated network, it should not be a problem though.

-a
We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc) remove NSPAM to email Received on Thu May 10 2007 - 12:18:54 CDT