Re: Oracle RAC and cold node

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 9 May 2007 10:18:29 -0700

On May 9, 11:12 am, Valentin Minzatu <valentinminz..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 8, 3:01 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
>

> > On 8 May 2007 10:47:30 -0700, Valentin Minzatu
>
> > <valentinminz..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >I do not see why you'd pay license for a turned off node. If you start
> > >using it, then yes, you should pay license for, but as long as the
> > >node is down I would think there is no need for additional license.
>
> > >Also, if you loose one of the other nodes you've already paid for and
> > >bring up the "standby" node I think you should be alright as you are
> > >not using more capacity than you paid for at any given time.
>
> > Obviously you don't know Oracle.
> > If your system allows for 8 CPUs, but you have only 2 fitted, you pay
> > for 8.
> > If you installed the Partitioning Option, but don't use it, you pay
> > for it.
>
> > I think the OP is going to pay for that 'cold' node, one way or
> > another.
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> Sybrand, are you saying that if you install Oracle on one machine
> (attention I am not saying there is a database there) and turn it off
> you have to pay license for it? For how long? Are you bound to remove
> Oracle S/W from the machines you retire as well?
>
> I understand your line of thinking, but I think it should be a
> deliniation hence the ask for the OP to confirm with his rep. Mind you
> that this "cold" node has only software on it, no database.- Hide quoted text -

Not according to the OP; he's asking about licensing for a third RAC node, including an instance, that is not running all of the time. It would be foolish to not have an instance configured on that node if he is truly expecting it to be a 'spare' in the event a 'main' node crashes.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed May 09 2007 - 12:18:29 CDT