Re: Abort / Stop backup operation using RMAN

From: Keith <kknauss_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 May 2007 07:27:27 -0700

On May 9, 9:00 am, Ganesh <ganesh.tam..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> To rephrase the query ... I want to know a way to write RMAN script
> which will stop / abort the backup operation.
>
> The database is in open state.
>
> Thanks,
> Ganesh
>
> On May 9, 3:48 pm, Fuzzy <fuzzy.greybe..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On May 9, 3:19 am, Ganesh <ganesh.tam..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Forgot to mention the DB version number. I am using Oracle 10g.
>
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ganesh Tambat
>
> > This becomes an interesting question when you realize that 'RMAN'
> > where you type your commands is really only a shell that issues the
> > commands to the database kernel. In other words, the backup command
> > is actually run by the Oracle Database Instance, not by RMAN.
>
> > How have you started RMAN?
> > What state is the database/instance?
> > Where do you want to issue the abort relative to the rman shell?
> > Have you tried Control-C?

It's in the documentation somewhere... in fact Oracle will tell you how to kill the rman session from the OS, from within Oracle, and if you're running interactively (ctrl-c). They suggest terminating the RMAN channels. From my experience, you occasionally have to kill the actual RMAN parent process as well. Terminating the job from the OS has proved the cleanest for me (on Solaris and linux).

You can find the SIDs for the channels in the RMAN message log... in the line where you see RMAN allocating channels; eg:

allocated channel: t1
channel t1: sid=909 instance=web1 devtype=SBT_TAPE channel t1: VERITAS NetBackup for Oracle - Release 5.1 (2004122520)

Likewise you can use a query like:

SELECT p.SPID, s.sid, s.serial#, sw.EVENT, sw.SECONDS_IN_WAIT AS SEC_WAIT, sw.STATE, CLIENT_INFO
FROM V$SESSION_WAIT sw, V$SESSION s, V$PROCESS p --WHERE sw.EVENT LIKE 'sbt%'
WHERE s.client_info LIKE 'rman%'

       AND s.SID=sw.SID
       AND s.PADDR=p.ADDR