Intermittent Failure When Accessing DB Constantly?

From: <lazyboy_2k_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 May 2007 10:40:14 -0700

Hi All,

We have a script in a cron job which will login our oracle 9.2.0.4 DB constantly (meaning every minutes, 7 days/week, & 365 days/yr), and the script is to check an availability of a record in a table which is passed through a variable in a script. The script is running perfectly fine except that it has an intermittent failure :( The weird thing is that the failure happens at exactly the same time but at random day. My 1st logical thought is that we may have some other job in a system which interferes this job; However, when I look through the system crontab file and other places & can't find any cron job which runs at that time. Please keep in mind that this is an intermittent failure. I already look through the log file and the failure indicates that "the record is not available in a table xyz", but I know for sure that record is there. I know that accessing DB like this is that we are looking for troubles, but there is a strong argument that we should be able to access oracle DB at any time (which is true), but I don't have info to say "Not to that extents".

      PROD Cancelled at Sun Apr  8 00:34:00 PDT 2007
      PROD Cancelled at Tue Apr 10 00:34:00 PDT 2007
      PROD Cancelled at Sun Apr 15 00:34:00 PDT 2007
      PROD Cancelled at Wed Apr 18 00:34:00 PDT 2007
      PROD Cancelled at Mon Apr 30 00:34:00 PDT 2007

Question: Is there a limitation in accessing oracle DB constantly & intensively like the way we have? If there is, could you please provide some info? However, if there is not, please let me know if there are any other ideas/ways to troubleshoot this problem?

Any info/suggestions/inputs are greatly appreciated.

Btw, sorry for a long email but i want you to have a detail info as much as possible.

TIA,
-Chris Received on Tue May 08 2007 - 12:40:14 CDT