Re: 9i dataguard - do I need to restart the primary DB ?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 8 May 2007 10:23:20 -0700

On May 8, 9:14 am, Neil Cudd <neil.c..._at_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On 8 May, 16:01, sybrandb <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On May 8, 4:51 pm, Neil Cudd <neil.c..._at_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Hi there.
>
> > > Oracle 9207 ent.ed on AIX 5L
> > > Is there any way of setting up dataguard with a remote standby server
> > > without restarting the promary instance ?
>
> > > We don't have the necessary downslot but want to set up a standby
> > > database.
>
> > > Many thanks for any help,
> > > Neil.
>
> > If you follow the documentation, you'll see you don't need to restart
> > the primary instance.
> > Make a hot backup using RMAN
> > Make a backup of your controlfile for standby
> > set up your standby database
> > duplicate your database for standby using RMAN
> > Except for sitting down during a prolonged period of time waiting,
> > this is all there is to it.
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>
> this may seem a sill y question - but what if you are not backing up
> using RMAN ?
> Thanks,
> Neil

Standby databases need a standby control file. The key to doing it without RMAN would be to generate that controlfile. Somehow. (Maybe you could just use the "...for standby format" command by itself, and use that instead of the regular one with a restored, not recovered, hot backup. Doing strange unsupported things seems contrary to the DR or HA paradigms).

See metalink Note:374069.1 and note the commands in figure 1A.

(Note:31406.1 shows the old way of doing it before O7.3. I have no clue if such a thing would work now, though it should since we still have the "using backup controlfile" recover clause. If it did work, I'm guessing you probably couldn't use the newer activate standby commands, wrong type of controlfile.)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
12 percent of corporate fraud cases are detected by outside auditors.