Re: 9i dataguard - do I need to restart the primary DB ?

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 May 2007 08:01:08 -0700

On May 8, 4:51 pm, Neil Cudd <neil.c..._at_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Oracle 9207 ent.ed on AIX 5L
> Is there any way of setting up dataguard with a remote standby server
> without restarting the promary instance ?
>
> We don't have the necessary downslot but want to set up a standby
> database.
>
> Many thanks for any help,
> Neil.

If you follow the documentation, you'll see you don't need to restart the primary instance.
Make a hot backup using RMAN
Make a backup of your controlfile for standby set up your standby database
duplicate your database for standby using RMAN Except for sitting down during a prolonged period of time waiting, this is all there is to it.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA