Oracle unicode export/import

From: Andrew <azbij_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 May 2007 06:01:27 -0700

I'm trying to migrate data from Oracle to SQL-Server. My client's existing supplier has given them an Orcale extract. I've imported it into my 10g instance but see ¿ instead of any extended ASCII accented characters.

My instance was set up with US7ASCII character set and UTF8 national character set.
(wizard didn't have an option for US7ASCII or similar just UTF16).

Import process gives this output:

Connected to: Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options Export file created by EXPORT:V08.01.07 via conventional path

Warning: the objects were exported by XXX, not by you import done in WE8MSWIN1252 character set and UTF8 NCHAR character set import server uses US7ASCII character set (possible charset conversion)

export client uses US7ASCII character set (possible charset conversion)
export server uses US7ASCII NCHAR character set (possible ncharset conversion)
. importing XXX's objects into XXX

. . importing table                     "TABLE"     1000 rows imported

About to enable constraints...
Import terminated successfully without warnings.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong please? I have looked at the existing application, powered by the database that has been exported, and it shows accented characters fine.

Is it possible for me to import this or do I need to ask them to export it differently?

Thanks,
Andrew Received on Tue May 08 2007 - 08:01:27 CDT