Re: Backup to NFS

From: Fuzzy <fuzzy.greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 May 2007 05:36:58 -0700

On May 8, 2:27 am, sybrandb <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 8, 9:57 am, NetComrade <netcomradeNS..._at_bookexchange.net>
> wrote:
>
> > If you backup to NFS, which device you use, and what throughput do you
> > achieve. We'd like to be able to backup multiple db's at once, so
> > something in the range of 100Megs+/sec is what we are looking for
> > (obviously for cheap). Storage size is a few TB.
>
> > (need to buy a new one)

> > We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
> > remove NSPAM to email
>
> Did you ever try to restore from such a NFS backup?
> I did. It wasn't funny. I never got the database back.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

Which NFS were you using?

If the traditional one based on UDP, I concur that you could/should expect challenges. However, I'd expect most propblems to disappear when using the new NFS based on TCP.

I've done some of this kind of backup to NetApp Filer using their NFS and had no challenges. Then again, their NFS is also certified for Oacle RAC.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!