Re: Slow SQL, too many logical reads ?

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 May 2007 03:59:04 -0700

On May 7, 10:40 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Charles Hooper wrote:
> > (this > is in a packaged application, where I can't touch the source code).
>
> What happens if you apply DBMS_ADVANCED_REWRITE with malice aforethought?
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

In the past I have been able to create an outline for such a SQL statement, and it then execute using the correct index. I believe that DBMS_ADVANCED_REWRITE has difficulty with bind variables, so that may not be an option. Interestingly, I could not reproduce this problem on my production database instance.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Tue May 08 2007 - 05:59:04 CDT