Re: IBM and Oracle - Let's Rrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuumbbbbbbbbbbleeeeeeee

From: Jeroen van den Broek <nltaal_at_baasbovenbaas.demon.nl>
Date: 7 May 2007 04:38:30 -0700

On May 7, 5:30 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Data Cruncher wrote:
> >http://www.physorg.com/news97246418.html
>
> > Officials at IBM are throwing verbal haymakers at Oracle as Big Blue touts
> > its successes in the database market.
>
> > The two database heavyweights alternated between offensive and defensive
> > postures recently after IBM questioned Oracle's claims of database
> > dominance.
>
> > "The rapid adoption of DB2 9 would seem to call their claims into question
> > and analysts are starting to question their numbers as well," said Bernie
> > Spang, director of IBM data servers.
>
> > He cited commentary by Philip Howard of UK-based Bloor Research, who noted
> > that when reporting Oracle's results for the third quarter of fiscal year
> > 2007, CEO Larry Ellison said new license revenues for the database and
> > middleware division grew 17 percent.
>
> > However, Ellison also noted the middleware portion had grown roughly 80
> > percent, which Howard argued indicates a slow down in the growth of Oracle's
> > database portfolio.
>
> > In an interview with eWEEK, Howard said increased competition not just from
> > IBM but from a number of vendors, has affected sales of 10g.
>
> > "11g may make a difference compared to DB2 but probably not versus SQL
> > Server, Netezza and EnterpriseDB - as these all compete as much on lower TCO
> > and reduced administration as on features and performance," Howard said.
>
> > But for Oracle's part, company officials are not breaking much of a sweat,
> > and are convinced the company's hold on the database market is not slipping.
>
> > "There's no doubt about that," said Willie Hardie, Oracle vice president of
> > database product marketing.
>
> > Hardie pointed to a study by IDC that included estimated 2006 revenue totals
> > from the five biggest relational database management system providers and
> > had Oracle in the top spot with a 44.4 percent of the market. IBM was second
> > with 21.2 percent.
>
> > According to IDC, those figures represent a growth of 14.7 and 11.9 percent
> > between 2005 and 2006 for Oracle and IBM, respectively.
>
> > "There's always going to be competitors in the market," Hardie said. "An
> > organization like Oracle continues to do business with its extensive
> > install-base."
>
> > The IDC study did not include features sold by vendors as separation options
> > and did not break out subscription and maintenance revenue, which can
> > obscure the true growth rate of a vendor's database license sales.
>
> > IBM's Spang said the $4.3 billion in revenue earned by the company's
> > software segment in the first quarter of fiscal 2007 was driven largely by
> > sales of the DB2 9 Viper data server.
>
> > "The volume of new DB2 customers since we launched DB2 9 last July has
> > exceeded all expectations," he said. "We have seen literally thousands of
> > new customers in that timeframe - and a large percentage of those are
> > migrations from Oracle."
>
> > However, Forrester Research analyst Noel Yuhanna disputed IBM's claims of
> [...]

  1. Why would I need to look at a US-based job site?
  2. Get yourself a course in statistics and how to apply them: a) Your search for 'oracle' (or the other search-keys) isn't limited to searches on job title only, so it will also include advertisements for MySQL DBA's to administer db's that have been migrated from Oracle to MySQL. b) Your search for 'oracle' isn't limited to Oracle DB, it also includes jobs for Oracle Apps.

I've done a search on 'oracle', limited to job titles. Result: 3500 jobs (still including Oracle Apps) At the left of the search screen several refinements of the search results have been made, one of them based on 'skills'. Of those 3500 jobs, only 1546 require 'SQL' for skill. Remarkebly, only 3011 require 'Oracle' for skill, so even someone thinking Oracle is just a myth from Delphi, is able to apply with > 10% chance of getting hired... ;-)

My conclusion: your posting is as much of a troll as the OP, given that it doesn't give any insight at all at the database market. Not that I need one, I'm most happy administering both DB2 and Oracle.

--
Jeroen