Re: IBM and Oracle - Let's Rrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuumbbbbbbbbbbleeeeeeee

From: Bill Martinez <none_at_dev.null>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 21:31:25 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:

> In other words ... we don't know anything more than we did before we
> read this.
>
> But for those who have to pay their mortgage and feed their families
> the only metrics that matter are those that can be found at: www.dice.com.
>
> As of 6 May, 2007:
> =========================
> DB2 3,419 8.9%
> Informix 452 1.2%
> Oracle 17,861 46.7%
> SQL Server 14,171 37.0%
> Sybase 2,355 6.2%
>
> If these aren't the numbers you're looking at you aren't paying
> attention to putting the kids through college and your retirement.

Are these market share figures?

Shouldn't people consider things like performance, cost of maintenance, etc... if they want to put their kids through college?

I notice that Anheisur-Busch has the lion's (clydesdale) share of the beer market here in the US.

I don't particularly like any of their beers - should I drink them anyway just because their popular?