Re: 10g fash_recovery_area

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 6 May 2007 02:52:40 -0700

On May 6, 8:02 am, JW <j..._at_abc.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your quick reply.
> Do you mean that I can configure the Archive Log to
> flash_recovery_area, and RMAN to different disk/folder ?
> I thought they have to be the same area. Sorry to ask that simple
> question.
> JW
>
> On Sat, 05 May 2007 17:02:24 -0700, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org>
> wrote:
>
> >JW wrote:
> >> I worked on Oracle 9i for a while under Window 2000 environment. I
> >> just started working on 10g, and work like to clarify a confusion.
>
> >> In Oracle 9i, it was recommanded that the Archive Log folder (disk)
> >> should be doifferent from the folder (disk) for storing the RMAN
> >> files. But in 10g, it looks like they are to be kept in
> >> flash_recovery_area. Is this contradict what it should be defined
> >> before ?
>
> >> Also there is maximum size definition of the flash_recovery_area.
> >> Should I defined the total size of the expected archived logs plus the
> >> RMAN files ? Or should I just defined the disk size for the folder ?
>
> >> Thanks for clarifying for me.
>
> >> JW
>
> >What you are looking as is the default installation if you do no
> >customization during installation. Not a best practice for scalability
> >and performance.
>
> >The rule has never changed ... spread everything for maximum spindles.

  1. Please, do not top-post.
  2. RMAN backups do not have to be in the FRA, they just go there by default if you don't specify any other location. The same is true for archived logs. Note that you can define no FRA at all, and in this case everything is just like in pre-10g days.

Hth,

   Vladimir M. Zakharychev
   N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)    http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Sun May 06 2007 - 04:52:40 CDT