Re: SQL Net port

From: Cristian Cudizio <cristian.cudizio_at_yahoo.it>
Date: 5 May 2007 13:20:29 -0700

sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl ha scritto:

> On Sat, 5 May 2007 15:35:20 +0200, "astalavista" <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am trying to connect to a database through a firewall
> >according the documentation sometimes
> >a port redirection arise:
> >- to UNIX : no port redirection
> >- to windows : port redirection
> >- with MTS : port redirection
> >
> >am I right ?
> >
> >so if I have to connect to a UNIX database (no MTS)
> >I only have to open the listener port (1521), no ?
> >
> >Thanks for your lights ...
> >
> Could you point to the *Oracle* documentation in which you have been
> reading this? If you really read that, you should submit that as a
> documentation bug.
>
> There is *always* port redirection, on whatever platform.
> There are three situations where you won't have port redirection (and
> I posted them over and over again, but I appreciate people like you
> can't be bothered with searching the archives)
>
> 1 sqlnet.use_shared_sockets = true in sqlnet.ora *on the server*
> (Unix) or registry key USE_SHARED_SOCKETS=true (Windows)
> Disadvantage: when you stop the listener all sessions are disconnected
> 2 setting up MTS on a *hardcoded* port in the dispatcher parameter.
> Disadvantage: need to configure your database for MTS
> 3 Setting up Connection Manager, and change your tnsnames.ora
> accordingly.
> This is the only option that doesn't have any disadvantages.
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

what i deduce from metalink notes 361284.1 and 66382.1 is that USER_SHARED_SOCKETS is valid only on Windows platform. This is because of thread architecure, in fact when spawnin new thread it is not possible to
pass the socket descriptor to spawned thread. On the other hand on UNIX platforms such limit does not exists: so with dedicated server when listener spawns the server process it pass to it the socket handler without port redirection. So, in my opinion, first post assertions are correct, until 10g, on the note 361284.1 is written:
<quote>
Since Oracle 10g, the newly built-in direct hand off technology allows the listener to pass the incoming client connection to the local dispatcher without generating REDIRECT messages; this way the connection will remain on the default listener port. </quote>

Bye
 Cristian Cudizio

http://oracledb.wordpress.com
http://cristiancudizio.wordpress.com Received on Sat May 05 2007 - 15:20:29 CDT