Re: Best migration way

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 4 May 2007 14:53:54 -0700

On May 4, 5:43 am, "mtn_bik..._at_msn.com" <mtn_bik..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> Hi guys!!
>
> We plan to upgrade the old 8.1.7 in a old server, to 10g in a great
> new server. We upgrade the OS too from Windows 2000 Server to Windows
> Server 2003 x64.
> In practice or with your experience, what is the best way to upgrade
> to my new server?
>
> We want to make sure that we don't get old stuff from the 8,1,7
> server.
>
> Thanks to share your opinion with me.

One possible gotcha is whether your 8i software is written towards using the cost based optimizer. Check the parameter optimizer_mode and whether statistics are being gathered. Even if it is already using CBO, you may discover a few quirks in performance.

This isn't usually a big deal, but you should do testing to see. Fortunately, the newer version has some decent tools to solve problems, but you may have to pay for them.

Regardless, you should be careful about setting init.ora parameters fresh, you can't just migrate the old ones.

I second Mark's advice.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.